Crocker House

213 Salmon Brook Street

A Bit More:

Starr Holcomb (born 1801) is said to have cut the corner posts for this house from one tree on the property at 19 Bushy Hill Rd. He was just 14 years old. When new, it was considered the handsomest house on the street.

By 1880 Charles Crocker was the owner and it was in the Crocker family until c 1913 when W. J. Colton bought it. It was then sold to Lemuel Griffin and later Ruth Tobey ran an antique shop out of the house.

This House:

This house was built by Jonathan Church in 1816. Jonathan was married to Mehitabel Hayes. She had attended Miss Pierce’s boarding school in Litchfield. One of their daughters, Jane, married Charles Crocker and later lived in the house.

The most well-known of the five Church children was Delia Church who lived her adult life next door at #211 Salmon Brook Street.

Used To Light The Way Outside

Even More:

There are newspaper advertisements referencing the sale of “double and single wool carding machines, made of the best materials and warranted to be faithfully made, and as good as can be found at any other machinery Shop in this State: those that wish to purchase first-rate machines will do well to call JONATHAN CHURCH Granby, Feb. 9th, 1815”

Church had also leased in 1812 from Seth Hayes ¾ acre under water and the use of a mill dam and pond for his Carding Machine.

208 Salmon Brook St
Granby, Hartford County 06035
USA

  • Facebook - Black Circle

© Salmon Brook Historical Society